T H E C L A S S I C S D E P A R T M E N T A T I L L I N O I S offers four graduate degree programs:
- MA in Classics
- MA in Classics with Specialization in Greek(or Latin)
- MA in the Teaching of Latin (MAT)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Classical Philology (PhD)
A graduate certificate in Medieval Studies is also available to students pursuing graduate degrees in the Classics (see here). Admission to any of our department’s graduate degree programs requires some previous knowledge of Greek and/or Latin. We do not admit majors in Classical Civilizations to our graduate program unless they have taken the requisite amount of Greek and/or Latin. In general, we admit qualified applicants directly to our PhD program; you will earn the MA en route upon fulfilling all of its degree requirements. Upon request, we will admit a limited number of qualified applicants (in particular those seeking teaching licensure) to a terminal MA degree program. See our departmental graduate studies handbook (link below) for further details.
Admission to the graduate programs in Classics is handled jointly by the department, Graduate College, and the SLCL Graduate Student Services office. Applications are accepted for fall admission only. The University of Illinois has implemented a web-based application procedure. Go to the Graduate College’s application website and you will see links to information for applicants as well as application instructions and the link to the application itself. Please complete the online application form for the Fall 2021 term. The online application will accept uploads of the following required application materials—please do not send them to the department.
The University of Illinois offers competitive one-, two-, and three-year Graduate College Fellowships for incoming M.A. or Ph.D. students from ethnic groups traditionally underrepresented in U.S. higher education. The Classics Department is proud of its exceptional record of success at obtaining these fellowships for eligible incoming graduate students.
The University offers a number of resources to welcome and support students.
DEADLINE (for full consideration for financial aid): January 4, 2021.
- Admission Requirements for M.A. in Classics
- Admission Requirements for M.A. in Classics(Greek/Latin)
- Admission Requirements for M.A. in the Teaching of Latin
- Admission Requirements for Ph.D. in Classical Philology
- Latin Certification Requirements
- Graduate Studies Handbook: MA and PhD programs in Classics
- PhD History of Greek Literature Exam: IDs
- PhD History of Latin Literature Exam: IDs